Our 9 Oil Cleansing Tonic is one of the most powerful, multi-functional, and INSTANT GLOW inducing products in the entire MV range. But it is also the product that single-handedly inspires the most questions from you all.
From, ‘why was it developed’, to ‘who is it for’ and of course, ‘how can an oil be used to treat oily skin?’, we find ourselves discussing our 9 Oil on the daily, and thought it was high time we shared the back-story, powerhouse ingredients and various uses of this brilliant product.
Not part of the original range, Sharon first developed the 9 Oil Cleansing Tonic specifically for ‘Aussie skins’ a few years after she opened her clinic in Double Bay. Having spent years treating sun ravaged complexions, Sharon noticed how common premature ageing was - particularly in women around 35-40 (her own age at the time) with quite considerable damage occurring down into the décolletage. She realised how little attention Aussie women paid to this vulnerable area, recalling,
“I personally had always spread any excess moisturiser from my face and neck across my chest. I had clients who freely admitted they didn’t even moisturise their neck, let alone their chest area. Quite a lot of women believed it was a waste of product!”
She knew she needed to develop something very active which gave speedy results, and package it in a big enough bottle that her clients would feel comfortable using a generous amount across their faces, necks and chests. As a big fan of avocado oil, Sharon knew this national favourite was not only one of our great Australian natural resources but also (as her research confirmed) a home-grown miracle oil for sun damage.
So, the MV Energizing 9 Oil Tonic began its formulation journey! The final perfect blend was a balance between 9 extraordinarily active oils; they smelled divine and were achieving some incredible…and surprising results.
Yes, that’s right – this product didn’t begin its life as 9 Oil Cleansing Tonic. The name change came three years after its launch.
When Sharon originally researched essential oils and plant oils for inclusion in this tonic, she sought active ingredients which worked on tissue regeneration and maintaining moisture - hence the inclusion of Aussie Sandalwood. She felt confident that the results would be amazing for most skin types and phenomenal for sun damage, but something she didn’t expect also emerged via her client’s feedback: people with pimple prone and quite oily skins were loving it too!
The benefits just kept mounting up, and Sharon began to realise she had developed an extremely versatile product which was, seemingly, quite a beauty industry contradiction! It was – and for many people, still is – a seemingly impossible feat for one product to excel at treating both dull, sun-damaged skin AND oily, congested, pimple prone skin.
The challenge for Sharon then became explaining all of the benefits of this extraordinary product, as the original name did not reflect its versatility as both a restorative tonic and a secondary cleanser.
A name change was desperately needed, and Highly Versatile Antioxidant Rich Elixir That Smells Divine was just a little too long for the bottle ;) The new name needed to include a very important reference to its cleansing capabilities. So, in 2010, the Energising 9 Oil Tonic was renamed the MV 9 Oil Cleansing Tonic and the rest is history!
With a fan-base now spanning the globe and a reputation for versatility which has seen it become a must-have for some of the world’s top make-up artists, it’s little wonder this magic potion has just won a gold medal in the prestigious UK Beauty Bible awards for 2020 for Best Oil Cleanser.
A carefully selected and concentrated blend of 9 potent botanical oils, this formulation delivers rich antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredients. Functioning as both an intensive treatment for sun damage, whilst also moonlighting as a detoxifying ritual for congestion.
- Avocado Oil – rich in fatty acids, vitamins A, D, E and packed with antioxidants and skin beneficial sterolins (plant steroids) reputed to reduce age spots and help heal sun damage, scars, and even help with congestion and adult acne.
- Bitter Orange Oil – an amazing skin tonic & circulatory stimulant.
- Camellia Oil – an essential for mature and sun damaged skin. Rich in both oleic and fatty acids, proven to be excellent to soothe dry skin and promote elasticity.
- Carrot Seed Oil– rich in beta-carotene, the precursor to Vitamin A and useful to improve skin tone, elasticity, stimulate cell regeneration, and soothe dry and irritated skin conditions.
- Centella Oil – Found to speed wound healing, stimulate new cell growth and improve circulation.
- Geranium Oil – a wonder oil to reduce inflammation and infection. Great to ease eczema and acne, whilst being super-balancing on all skin types.
- Lavender Oil - a cell regenerator known to prevent scarring and stretch marks. Used for burns, wounds, rashes, and infections.
- Rosewood Oil – improves skin elasticity and firmness, while reducing the appearance of fine lines, brown age spots, and stretch marks. Great for scars and to encourage cell regeneration.
- Sandalwood Oil – helps soften skin by increasing and restoring its ability to retain moisture. Particularly beneficial for inflammation, mature and damaged skin, and acne thanks to its antibacterial and tissue regeneration properties.