Essential Oils and Pregnancy
All products in the MV range are safe for use during pregnancy.
In a dilution of 2% virtually all essential oils are safe with the exception of Pennyroyal and Sage (not Clary Sage).
Some other oils which could pose a problem during pregnancy in large dilutions are: Angelica, Carrot, Cumin, Parsley and Juniper.
Essential oils when combined with organic plant oils can have a very beneficial effect on the skin; both nourishing, regenerating, strengthening and hydrating skin that is progressively stretching.
What are stretch marks?
Stretch marks are a form of scarring associated with pregnancy. They are caused by tiny tears in the elastic supportive tissue, which lies just under the surface of your skin and helps it to stretch.
What can you do to prevent or minimize them?
MV’s Aromatic Body Oil is the perfect blend of plant oils and essential oils for Mums-to-be. Simply massage your abdomen, thighs and breast area twice daily after the fourth month of pregnancy and continue for at least 3 months after giving birth.
To ensure these precious organic plant oils and essential oils penetrate deeply for greater efficacy always apply to damp skin.
Vitamins and minerals
A range of micronutrients is essential for good health, but some vitamins are particularly beneficial for the skin. Vitamin C’s primary function is maintaining collagen, a protein necessary for the formation of connective tissue in the skin. Vitamin C also helps to speed wound healing. Foods rich in Vitamin C include citrus fruits, rose hips, alfalfa sprouts, rockmelon, strawberries, broccoli and tomatoes.
Vitamin E helps to keep the skin supple and is also beneficial for wound healing. Good food sources of Vitamin E are cold pressed oils, eggs, wheatgerm, organ meats, molasses, sweet potatoes, avocado and leafy vegetables.
Zinc is an important mineral for skin healing as it maintains the integrity of the connective tissue. It is found in pumpkin seeds, seafood, soya beans, mushrooms and eggs.
*Zinc supplements should be taken under the supervision of a health professional as it is possible to overdose.
A Balanced Diet
Eating a diet that includes oily fish, vegetables and wholegrains encourages the skin and underlying tissue to be more resilient and regenerate more easily after trauma through over-stretching. The essential fatty acids omega 3 (found in fish oil) and omega 6 (found in evening primrose oil) help to lubricate the skin from the inside out and can also relieve dry and itchy skin. Protein is also important as the skin is predominantly made of protein. Protein-rich foods include fish, chicken, eggs, tofu, legumes, mixed nuts, yoghurt and cheese.
A wonderful combination of all these ‘good oils’ in one bottle is Udo’s Oil, which can be found in all good health food stores.
Good to remember
• Body brush daily to exfoliate skin, stimulate circulation and help eliminate toxins via the skin. As body brushing is an invigorating experience, it is best to do this in the morning before showering.
• Reduce your intake of refined and deep fried foods as well as soft drinks
• Reduce your intake of caffeine
• Drink 6 glasses of water a day to help flush out impurities and hydrate the skin from within.
MV for Mum
To maintain good skin during and after pregnancy use:
• Aromatic Body Oil – to minimize stretch marks
• Pure Jojoba – to alleviate itchy or sensitive skin anywhere on the body and for use directly over wounds/stitches to sooth and protect
• Hand Rescue – to keep your hands and feet in great condition, can also be used as an all over body moisturiser to keep the skin soft and supple
• Rose Soothing & Protective Moisturiser – to sooth and hydrate the skin quickly and easily when time is precious
• Rose Plus Booster – to provide intensive care for hormonal skin and sooth frayed nerves from disrupted sleep
• Rose Hydrating Mist – to refresh and hydrate your skin while calming the senses
• Gentle Cream Cleanser – to nurture and cleanse neglected skin
• Gentle Cleansing Bar – to wash the body gently, particularly where wounds are healing
• Signature Mineral Mask – for an instant skin ‘pick-me-up’ when you want to look and feel great
MV for baby
To respect a new born baby’s delicate skin we actually suggest using very little.
Two wonderful products for baby which only utilise 100% certified organic ingredients are MV’s Pure Jojoba and MV’s Gentle Cleansing Bar.
Pure Jojoba is a unique liquid wax which closely resembles the skin’s own sebum making it highly compatible with new born babies. It is super-fine, non-clogging and – unlike other ‘oils’ – does not turn rancid.
It has many uses in infant skin care including:
• Craddly cap
• Nappy rash
• Heat rash
• All over natural moisturiser
• Massage oil
Gentle Cleansing Bar
Our Gentle Cleansing Bar is made in the traditional soap making method so all the natural glycerine is retained. It also has a low pH so is super gentle.
*Babies do not need to be washed all over with a lathering soap. You should, instead, work the bar in your hands to create a creamy lather and wash only the parts that need attention.